Miscarriage Aftermath Part 1

I have no idea the statistics, but I would say nearly all miscarriages happen, and that's the end.  The chapter on the miscarriage closes, and people begin to heal and move on to next steps.

Unless...you find out your tissue pathology results indicate a partial molar pregnancy...

A what?  Partial what?

Yeah, that was my thought too.

I had my D&C on the 26th of July, and the next week, my hubby and I took the week off and had a staycation filled with all sorts of fun things with the babies.  It was a great week.  The miscarriage was in the back of our minds the whole time, but we were doing good with it.

And then my phone rang on Friday, August 3rd at 8:15.  I didn't recognize the number, but thought it may be a client, so I answered.  And on the other end, I hear, "Michelle?  This is Dr. Hix."  And I jumped out of bed (we had been laying in bed with the babies watching tv), and moved to the kitchen where I could take notes and listen better, because I knew instantly something was wrong.  The only other time a doctor has actually called me (and not the nurse) was when Dr. Hix's wife called me after my HSG test to ask me how I was feeling and to discuss the results of the test.  It just doesn't happen.  Honestly, my first thought was cervical cancer, that's just where my mind went.  But it wasn't that. 

Instead, what my doctor told me was the pathology results from the tissue came back, and the cells that were present indicated a partial molar pregnancy.  My doctor told me the types of cells that were found, but I just can't remember what they were, and I couldn't spell it! 

My doctor then went on to say there is risk that the cells could begin to regenerate and could come back somewhere in my body and I would need chemotherapy! 

Chemotherapy?  What?

Of course, that is rare, but honestly, give me rare odds and I swear to you, I will beat them. 

So, the course of treatment is to monitor my hcg levels weekly, until they return to negative, and then follow my hgc levels for 6 months. 

No getting pregnant for 6 months. 

*crushed*

Every dream I had of being fertile following the D&C and getting pregnant again without medical intervention, crushed.  It died right there, on the phone with my doctor.  My heart broke again. 

My doctor doesn't truly think it was a partial molar pregnancy because I had zero other symptoms of it (extremely high HCG levels, extreme morning sickness), but because it is so easy to treat in case the cells do return, my doctor doesn't want to risk it.  Which I appreciate.  And apparently those cells being present would not indicate anything else except this, so, it just makes sense.  

I just couldn't even believe it.  Of all things.  I can't even have a normal miscarriage. 

Comments