How I fell in love with New York City

So sorry I've been away for so long!!  I'll try my best to not do that again!  I've been debating several different topics for my next blog post, and then before I knew it, several weeks had flown by and I hadn't posted.  I will post an update about our TTC journey very soon, I promise!  First, though, I wanted to post about a trip Dusty and I took a year ago, and was recently reminded of thanks to my Timehop app.

Last year, for my 30th birthday, Dusty surprised me with a trip to New York City.  I had, for about as long as I can remember, wanted to go to NYC at Christmastime to see the tree at Rockefeller Center.  For my birthday, Dusty had researched flights and picked a weekend for us to go, and then presented me with a certificate stating he was taking me to NYC in December.  We were able to find a relatively cheap flight, and the best part of the trip was our hotel was "free".  Because I traveled so much for work last year, I had so many Hilton Honors points, that we actually stayed at the Hilton in Times Square for 3 nights on points, which was awesome!! 


Dusty and I arrived in NYC around 11:30 on Thursday night.  We immediately dropped our bags off in our room and ventured out into Times Square.  I was absolutely in awe of my surroundings.  The first picture below was taken from the plane on our way into NYC, and then the 2nd was a selfie while we were walking around Times Square the first night.





The next day, we went to Junior's for breakfast, walked around inside Central Park, walked down 5th Avenue, and then all of the sudden, looked to our right, and found ourselves at Rockefeller Center.  It honestly was breathtaking and I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning!  The picture below isn't the best, but I wanted to post what it was like when I first saw the tree! 
Then, after walking around Rockefeller Center, we walked to Macy's, and let me tell you, that was overwhelming!  I went in wanting to look for coats and purses, and let me tell you, I have never given up and just walked out of a store until then!  Ha!!  Macy's in NYC is the world's largest store and it felt like it!  Dusty and I went in on one floor and took escalators down one level and I promise you, we looked around and I think the entire floor was men's underwear!  Ok, probably not the entire floor, but it sure felt like it.  We quickly gave up and left!
After we left Macy's, we went to the most delicious restaurant, Tony's Di Napoli, and ate way too much food.  It was fantastic!  After that, we went back to the hotel to get ready for a light tour, which was really a great way to learn a lot about some attractions around the City in just a couple of hours.  In this tour, we visited Lincoln Center, Grand Central Terminal, Macy's, Bryant Park and Lord and Taylor to look at the Christmas displays.  They were all absolutely gorgeous!
The next day, we ventured out and decided to try the subway.  I had read about an app on TripAdvisor called HopStop, which was great, all we had to do was plug in where we wanted to go and it walked us to the nearest subway station and told us which train to take.  We decided to go visit High Line Park.  High Line Park is a 1 mile park built on old elevated tracks and is just neat!  After leaving High Line Park, we went to Wicked (Amazing!!), then dinner at Porter House, which was delicious, and then Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola.  Dizzy's is a jazz club with an amazing view of the Manhattan skyline.  After leaving there, we went back to Bryant Park, hoping to ice skate, but the line was too long, so, being that it was 10:30 at night, I decided to give Macy's another try.  I'm so glad I did, as I found a coat that I absolutely loved, and then another for my mom for Christmas. 
Our last day, we went to the Empire State Building, and then Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty.  We were just planning to view the statue from the park, but when we got there, there was a ferry leaving to go by the statue, so we hopped on the ferry!
We absolutely loved everything about NYC!!  We want to go back, as there were so many things we didn't get to do.  Also, people talk about New Yorker's and their attitudes, but I have to say, everybody was SO nice to us!  We didn't encounter anyone that was the slightest bit rude.  We are really hoping to get to go back during warmer weather and spend more time in Central Park and visit the 911 Memorial.  Also, when we were in Aruba, we became friends with a great couple from NY, so we'd love to go back and be able to visit them!!

Below is a collage of some of my favorite pictures from our trip.  So thankful for my amazing husband who gave me one of my best birthday presents ever! 




Comments