14 Years Ago Today

 
 
Here are Dusty and I, after church one of the first Sunday's we went to church together, shortly after we started dating.  I love this man!  He would go to work on Sunday morning for a couple of hours, and then go home, shower, come to church (an hour away) and then go back to work after church!  And I should probably mention I'm standing on the sidewalk and Dusty is on the pavement, lol! 

You know when you’re young and you are dating somebody and you decide you want to “go out”, you know, become boyfriend and girlfriend?  Well, Dusty and I made that “big” decision 14 years ago today!  We went on our first date on Friday, February 9, 2001 and clearly, it only took over the weekend for us to both decide we kinda liked each other!  Ha!

I met Dusty at Crowder College in Neosho.  We met late in my first semester when I was still debating joining the jazz ensemble there.  He was already in and I met him when I went in one day to meet the instructor and listen to the group for a little bit.  He caught my eye (probably because he is 6’5”, haha!) and I definitely started to have a little crush on him!  The second semester started and I started seeing him around a lot more often.  I remember telling my mom that there was a boy at Crowder that I thought was cute and that I thought I wanted to date. 

After flirting with Dusty, and Dusty telling me he didn't have time for a girlfriend (haha), with the help of some friends (KARA!!!), Dusty finally asked me out on a date.  We've pretty much been inseparable ever since.  I am so thankful that God brought this boy from Iowa down to Missouri to meet me, and eventually be my husband.  There is nobody else that I would ever want to walk through this life with, as horrible as it is right now. 

Dusty truly has been my rock.  I couldn't go through this hellish journey without him.  As I lay there yesterday, on the exam table, in pain, I was reminded of how incredible Dusty is.  Dust instantly stood up, grabbed my hand, and just looked me in my eyes until I could stop focusing on the pain.  He's been by my side every single step of this journey, and I would have quit a long time ago if it wasn't for him. 

I hope someday, we are happy.  I hope someday, we have children to raise here on this earth to be a bandage for our broken hearts, which will never be healed.  Our hearts will always be broken.  We will always be broken, but we have each other.

Casting Crowns has a new song, Broken Together.  The song talks about how hard marriage is, and how sometimes, people just are broken together.  Although our love for each other has never been questioned, we are definitely broken and hurt.  Thankfully, we have always drawn closer to each other during those times, rather than push each other away.  But, the song still resonates very strongly with us. 

...How I wish we could go back to simpler times
Before all our scars and all our secrets were in the light...
...Maybe you and I were never meant to be complete
Could we just be broken together...
 
 
It is very easy to fear we will never be happy.  Sometimes, I think we're meant to be that couple that God just continually uses as an example for others to look at so they can say "At least we don't have it as bad as Dusty and Michelle".  I know that sounds so dramatic, but honestly, that's how I feel at times, when it seems we battle one thing after another.  I pray someday, we have our rainbows and are happy...or as happy as we can be.  

 

Comments

  1. You guys are adorable (then and now). Love the picture, but was trying to figure out why you were taller than I remember or Dusty was shorter. ;) You guys are perfect for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment