I don't know how to pray for that

I believe in the power of prayer.  Did praying for my pregnancy and my babies save them?  No.  It didn't.  Have I stopped praying?  To be perfectly honest, for a while, yes, I did.  I've had some very real internal struggles about praying, and what the point is.  I'm not going to lie.  But, at this point, I feel like prayer has a point, and am trying to hold onto that.

A friend of mine and Dusty's recently asked Dusty to pray for him and his family in their current situation.  And my first thought when my husband told me what he wanted us to pray for was, "I don't know how to pray for that."  I truly didn't know if it was something I could pray for. 

This man is a great guy.  He came to my dad's funeral.  He reached out to Dusty when we lost the babies and shared that he and his former wife had walked in our same shoes.  He gave us advice.  He's just one of those guys that you just love being around. 

So what couldn't I pray for?  The fact that his 15 year-old daughter is pregnant. 

How do I pray for that?  How do I pray for that family, when we've been denied having the very thing that is causing their "situation"?  How do I pray for that when it is a slap in the face? 

I honestly don't know.  Does that make me a selfish person?  Perhaps.  Should I pray for this family?  Yes, without a doubt I should.  Can I?  I don't know.  I know, deep down, I should.  This family is struggling and going through a very difficult situation.  But the unfairness of it all just hurts so much.  It's honestly like a punch in the gut even thinking about it. 

I am going to try to pray for them.  I feel bad not.  It's not the Christian thing to do, and not praying for them is definitely the human thing to do.  If this is a test of my faith, I willingly admit, this is hard, and I'm not sure I'm going to pass it. 

I just don't know how to pray for that.

Comments