The Locust

I haven't posted in a while about anything related to my current health situation.  My current health situation frustrates me and beats me down to no end.

I've found the locust.  If the rest of the plagues come, I'm not sure I will survive. 

I alluded to surgery in my previous post.  On the 24th, I had a hysteroscopy to remove what turned out to be placenta tissue from my uterus...4 months after giving birth.  I just can't even imagine that having placenta tissue in my uterus that long without there being babies attached to it is very good.  I also have had some weird hang up in the back of my mind about finally having the last bit of the Bitties removed, but I keep trying to push it away because, well, it's just morbid and stupid. 

So, that being said, I had surgery last week.  Dusty and I had to go to Little Rock for the surgery.  The day before, winter weather tried it's best to prevent us making it.  I actually woke up in the middle of the night the night before feeling sick, so I stayed home from work on the 23rd, which was my due date.  During the day, my doctor actually called me to ask if we were still making it, and gave me an update on what the current weather was doing.  I told him we'd be there, and then called Dusty, who headed home from work around 1:00 so we could get to Little Rock well before dark, since it was snowing, on top of ice already on the ground.  The trip started kind of iffy, but we made it without any problems.  We checked into the hotel, and then went out to eat together.  It was nice, to just be with Dusty and be sad about our babies. 

The next morning, we arrived at the hospital around 6:55 and got checked in for the surgery.  I once again was put under with propofol and once again, it hurt like crazy.  This time, my IV was in my hand and the pain started there and went up my arm.  I remember telling them it hurt and then knew they couldn't do anything about it, and started breathing in from the mask faster so I could just get under quicker. 

The surgery took about 25 minutes.  The doctor came out and updated Dusty and said it went well.  He showed Dusty before and after pictures, and how the tissue had taken up my entire uterus.  The doctor said it'd be sent to pathology and they would call us in a few days to update us with the results and next steps. 

I wasn't too overly sore from the surgery.  Really, my throat hurt worse than anything, from the tube being down my throat.  I took pain pills and rested on Wednesday, then went back to work Thursday and Friday.  However; Saturday, I woke up and felt awful.  I decided I must have some irritation from the surgery still, and took my pain pills (which contained ibuprofen) around the clock over the weekend and started feeling better on Sunday.

Monday of this week, I received the call from the doctor.  It turns out that in addition to the tissue being placenta tissue, the pathology report also showed that I have endometritis, or inflammation/infection in the lining of the uterus.  Great...(hence the locust). 

I'm not really surprised.  After all, having the placenta tissue in my uterus for 4 months surely isn't good.   I was prescribed an antibiotic to take for the next two weeks.  The antibiotic has already taken a toll on me, as I didn't eat enough with it yesterday morning and got sick at work, to the point where (TMI warning...) I started throwing up blood.  I felt so terrible, I decided to go home and call my doctor's office.  The nurse called me back and told me that she figured the blood was from my throat still being irritated from the surgery.  She also told me with this antibiotic, I need to be sure to take it with a good sized meal, because it is really hard on the stomach.

So...that's an update on my health.  It honestly all sucks and I've been so down the past couple of days.  I miss my children and I just want them back.  I don't want any of these health issues (and medical bills), I just want to be exhausted from having newborn twins. 

Comments

  1. Thinking of you much and wishing that you have happier days ahead. I'm sorry you've had so many roadblocks on your journey. You are so very strong and courageous. Big hugs from Chicago.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog, and read through your story about the loss of your sweet babies. Your story is so similar to my own. My husband and I struggled with infertility for 5 years, but eventually got pregnant last August with IUI. We found out in September it was twins, a boy and girl just like you. I went into preterm labor on January 20 and delivered on January 23 at exactly 22 weeks. Like your babies they were born alive, but passed soon after their birth.
    The thoughts and feelings you share on your blog, are the words of my heart. I worry that my husband and I may never know the joy of having children on this earth to love and care for. I just want you to know that you are not alone, all of your words are ones I have spoken myself. These are the most difficult days I have ever endured. I trust in Gods plan for my life, but I do not understand it. This all seems like a huge mistake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Serena - I am so sorry. The pain is just so hard. If you want to reach out to me, connect on facebook (Michelle Lynne Hurst) and I'll add you to a twin loss support group, if you want. Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Hey there - I think I got a friend request from you, but it went away, I'm not sure what I did. Feel free to send another request.

      Delete

Post a Comment