We made it to 24 weeks!!

As I'm writing this, I'm actually 25w1d, but 24 weeks is such a milestone that I really wanted to go back and post about it.  

Leading up to 24 weeks, for one, I was so scared.  But two, I didn't really think it would help my anxiety much, because in reality, it's just the point where there is a 50/50 chance of survival.  And in my head, 50/50 means one baby survives, one doesn't.  I know that isn't how it works, but in my CPA brain, that's just what comes to mind.  So, I didn't think hitting 24 weeks would feel like much, but boy was I wrong.

I'm actually glad I didn't post this earlier, because I've had this past week to reflect on how I've felt since hitting 24 weeks, and really let my emotions settle and take it all in.  And let me tell you, it has been such a great week since hitting 24 weeks!  I have felt my lungs take a deep breath for the first time in MONTHS!  And it is amazing!  

All that being said, I know we still have a very long way to go, but, as I've said before, I'm trusting and hanging onto God and I feel a strength and a confidence and a hope that I haven't felt before.  This feeling of getting past 24 weeks has been amazing!  I'm so thankful to be at this point in the pregnancy.  Of course, these babies must stay in for as long as possible, and I'm hoping and praying for the strength to make it to term, but, it does feel better to be at this point.  It feels so good to take a deep breath again.

I've ran into another complication, of course.  At my Dr. H appointment on the 6th, I asked if I could be tested for a UTI.  I'd been having some pain when going to the bathroom, but honestly, it all feels so weird because of the pressure from the pessary and the weight of the babies, that I didn't actually think I had a UTI, but asked to be checked anyway.  I'm so thankful I did, because as it turns out, I had one.  I started on a course of antibiotics and asked to be retested at the end of the treatment, which was a week ago Friday.  Well, the initial repeat analysis showed I still had a UTI, so they changed my antibiotic, and I started another week's worth of meds.  I went back Friday to be tested and I'm waiting on the results.  I will say, finding out I had a UTI during my 22 week point was just absolutely awful.  I know that UTIs can cause pre-term labor if untreated, and I was a mess.  I was so scared.  I wanted to just lay in bed.  Thankfully, I found out on a Thursday, and was able to work from home Thursday and Friday and take it easy all weekend.  Anyway, hopefully I get good news soon that it has cleared up!  

At my Dr. H appointment this past Wednesday, he really helped me feel better about hitting 24 weeks as well.  As he was measuring my belly (before he chuckled at the measurement), he commented that I had made it past 24 weeks, and then looked up and said, Thank you Lord!  Which was just awesome!  I said, yes, thank God!  Then said, I know I still have a long ways to go, and he agreed, but said this was huge!  Which really helped me realize this is a big thing!  I need to be happier about it!  So I'm really trying to be!  Oh, and at that appointment, which was 24w3d, I was measuring 33 weeks.  Yikes!!  I thought I had blogged this, but now I can't find it, so sorry if it's a repeat, but at my 20 week appointment, Dr. H measured me and just laughed.  Then he told me I was measuring 28 weeks!  Oh my!  I asked if it was a problem and something to be worried about and he said no, and said, we have to remember what your husband looks like.  haha!  At my 22 week appointment, I was measuring 31 weeks, and Dusty was there with me.  After Dr. H measured me and laughed a little, I patted Dust on the shoulder and thanked him for that.  We all got a good laugh at that.  Dr. H said it's all fine and perfectly normal for twins though!  

So now...I've never done this before, but I always enjoyed reading it when others have done these kind of posts during their pregnancies:

How far along - 24 weeks (I'm doing this as of 24 weeks, obviously, and will catch up soon)

Measuring? - 33 weeks

Total weight gain - up 9 pounds, probably would have been more, but thanks to the lovely hormones from the IVF cycle, I weighed too much to begin with

Movement - Yes, and I love feeling it!  Dusty got to feel the babies for the first time on January 2 and I never want to forget that moment!  I cried tears and tears of joy when he felt them.  It was amazing!

Food cravings - Chocolate chip ice cream has been a staple this pregnancy...sure hope it doesn't impact the GD test I took last week!

Sleep - has been pretty good, thank goodness!  I get up a few times a night to potty, but it hasn't been terrible

And lastly, my 24 week bump pic.  



Comments

  1. Yay! Congrats! Keep on going, Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun and so wonderful!! Congrats and cheers to a smooth ride from here on out! You certainly are glowing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment