Another Day, Another Ultrasound

 





I had my first ultrasound for this cycle yesterday.  After a slight freak out due to a conflict on my schedule, I ended up seeing another doctor for my ultrasound, and I have to say, it was quite a blessing from God that I did!  But, first, before that, I sat at my appointment forever yesterday, waiting to see the doctor, so, I decided to snap some pictures.  Haha!  I was bored.  Of all times that I didn't bring my ipad to read on, it had to be the one appointment that ran about 45 minutes late!  And on top of that, my phone died about 30 minutes into the 45 minute delay.  Good times.  But, before it died, I took the pictures above.  What can I say, I was bored.  I do love the cute green stirrups cover, though!!

Now, about the appointment.  Dr. S came in and the first thing she said was, long time no see!  That made me feel good, because I felt like she had taken the time to look at my chart and realize that she had seen me once before.  Dr. S was the doctor that did my scan in June (I think) when my follicles didn't grow between days, and as a result, she upped my clomid dosage.  Dr. S is funny and I enjoy her personality.  She asked me what I had been up to, and then said, lots of clomid?  I told her yes, along with two failed IUI attempts and then a third cycle where my follicles didn't grow so we didn't do IUI.  She asked me if, as a result of that cycle, they upped my clomid dosage.  I told her no, but I had asked about that, and had been told by my doctor's nurse that it was a dud cycle and if it happened again, they might up my dose.  Dr. S kind of frowned at that, but didn't really say anything. 

Dr. S scanned me and I have two follicles developing on my left side, which isn't ideal.  She said my right ovary was looking slightly polycystic and there was only 1 small follicle on that side.  She had read in my chart about my blocked tube, so she knew about that, but did say that it is still possible for the right tube to pick up follicles from my left ovary, but, obviously, a much smaller chance of that happening.  She then said that I needed to be scanned again in 48 hours, which is on Saturday.  She said she wasn't on call, but did say that she wished she were so she could see what happens with my follicles. 

I think my follicles probably aren't as large as they should be at this point in the cycle, although she didn't say that.  Her next statement was that, having been on clomid, it is possible for them to grown more than 2 mm a day, and then she asked me when I typically ovulated.  I told her that it was usually around day 15 or 16, but that my cycles had been getting pretty long lately, like, between 40 & 45 days times, and that I've had to have a prescription 3 times to make me start.  Dr. S really frowned at that!  I told her that I had asked Dr. P's nurse whether or not that was normal, and before I could even tell her what the nurse had told me, she was like, No, it's not!  She said that it especially wasn't normal doing the clomid and IUIs.  I told her I was glad she said that because I was pretty worried about it and didn't feel great with the answer I had been given.  Dr. S then said that after this IUI cycle, she wants me to call her nurse, and at that point, she wants the RE in Little Rock to take a look at my history.  Based on the 3 failed IUIs (assuming this cycle will fail), the long cycles, and the blocked tube, she wants to get a fresh set of eyes on my history.  Dr. S said she isn't trying to bypass Dr. P, but I think she could tell I wasn't happy with the answers I had been getting, and was concerned.  Which really made me feel so glad that I saw her for my appointment.  She then had me get dressed and told me to meet her at the nurse's station to figure out when I needed to come in on Saturday and who was on call.

I got dressed and walked out to the station, and then it was slightly awkward, as Dr. P was standing right there.  I have to say, I absolutely love Dr. P, she is great!!  But, that being said, I think she is very busy, and gives a lot of liberty to her nurse to answer questions from patients for her without the nurse consulting with Dr. P first.  This has made me question some of the answers I've received from her nurse, especially now, given Dr. S's reaction to some of the things I've told her.  I have no idea what the dynamic is between all of the doctors and how they handle differences, but I guess that doesn't really matter, as long as I'm getting cared for.  Anyway, Dr. S was standing next to Dr. P (who said hi to me as soon as she saw me) and Dr. S asked her who was on call this weekend to do my Saturday scan.  It's Dr. H, Dr. P's husband, which I was glad about because I've seen him before and I'm comfortable with him.  Dr. S then told Dr. P that she's concerned about my cycles and wants to look into it more, but I don't think she really wanted to go into more details right then, and Dr. P just said ok, before Dr. S headed off to another patient.  Dr. P then told me how to go about getting my scan on the weekend, when the clinic is closed.  Dr. S walked into another patient's room, but I wish I had been able to talk to her more.  She looked back at me when she was walking in the door, but because Dr. P was talking to me, I couldn't really look over at her, but felt she was trying to catch my eye.  I guess I'll just see how tomorrow goes and depending on what we end up doing this cycle, I will give her nurse a call.

So, that's the latest.  I wanted to make sure I blogged pretty quickly about this because I felt like I got a lot of information yesterday, and I didn't want to forget it.


Comments