IVF Step 1

There are so many steps in the IVF process.  I was so excited after finding out we'd get to move on to IVF next.  Then, a couple of days after that initial discussion with Sarah, I started looking through the folder that had around 20 pages describing the IVF process and suddenly it felt very overwhelming and scary!

For those that don't know, here is IVF in a nutshell:

  • I take fertility drugs to make my ovaries produce large amounts of follicles (i.e. giving myself shots 1-4 times/day for 7-10 days)
  • I'm monitored very closely while taking the drugs to watch my follicle development
  • When the time is right, I'll then go to Little Rock and be knocked out, and my eggs will be retrieved
  • Once retrieved, they will be mixed with Dusty's stuff and then watched to see how they develop
  • 5 days later, hopefully, 1 or 2 embryos will be transferred back to me, and the rest, hopefully, will be frozen for when we are ready for another baby, hopefully
So, to start this process, step one was blood work, which I had yesterday.  This blood work is to test my ovarian reserve.  Honestly, this scares me.  I'm so scared they are going to come back and tell me that I don't have a good ovarian reserve. 

Before I actually got to that point, though, I once again had to take provera for a couple of days to even get my cycle started.  On Monday, after taking provera pills the previous two days to make my body start my cycle, my cycle started.  After a couple of emails with Sarah, we set up my appointment on Wednesday to have my blood work. 

Last night, I started what I'll call step 1a, which was to take birth control pills.  Yep, birth control.  Isn't that an obvious step to trying to get pregnant??  Yeah, I didn't think so either, however; I knew it was coming having followed other bloggers that have been through IVF.  I will admit, though, I wasn't sure the reason why.  Turns out, taking birth control pills for a cycle helps prevent ovarian cysts and hyper stimulation (producing too many follicles), both of which will lead to a cancelled cycle. 

I'm not really sure what the next step is, I'll have to go shuffle through my 20 pages and see if I can make it through without having anxiety attack. 

Oh, side note...when a woman is coming in for blood work related to infertility, it would probably be in good taste to not have the phlebotomist be 8 1/2 months pregnant with her huge baby belling sticking out for the world (ok, me) to see.  She called my name and I turned around and saw nothing but pregnant belly and automatically cringed.  Oh the irony...

Comments