National Infertility Awareness Week


This week is National Infertility Awareness Week.  This is something that I hoped and prayed I would never need to know, but here I am, 31, and infertile. 

Some facts about infertility - (source - http://www.resolve.org/about/fast-facts-about-fertility.html)

  • 12% of married women have trouble getting pregnant or sustaining pregnancy
  • A couple ages 29-33 with normal functioning reproductive system has only a 20-25% chance of conceiving in any given month
  • Approximately 85-90% of infertility cases are treated with drug therapy or surgical procedures.  Fewer than 3% need advanced reproductive technologies like in vitro fertilization
A few things that really stand out to me in reading the above states, 12% of married women have trouble getting pregnant.  That is 1 in 8 women!!  1 in 8! 

Then, when typing those stats for this blog post, I saw that fewer than 3% of couples seeking infertility help need treatment such as IVF.  Wow.  I'm seriously fighting the pity party right now.  How Dusty and I are in the less than 3% bracket, I have no idea. 

As I have said before, infertility is the absolute hardest thing I have ever been through.  It is utterly heartbreaking.  The emotional roller coaster is devastating, and it is on the front of my mind every single minute of the day.  It isn't fair.  Dusty and I didn't do anything to deserve this.  But, life isn't fair.  Sometimes, we are dealt bad hands, to no fault of our own and based on nothing we have done.  This is one of those times.   

I do know this, if God decides to bless us with a child, or children, of our own, I will do my best to be a source of encouragement and support for others going through this same situation. 

I am 1 in 8.

Comments