My Sweet Dog Honey Bee

As I mentioned in my previous post, I recently lost my dog, Honey Bee.  If you've been following my blog, you may be wondering who Honey Bee is, since I posted about getting puppies last August.  Well, almost 14 years ago, when I still lived at home (is that funny, my first thought was, when I still lived at home, even though that hasn't been home for 10 years), i.e., my parent's house, I got a puppy and named her Honey Bee.  She still lived at my parent's where she could run around on acres and acres of farm land and keep my mom company. 

Honey Bee was a birddog; a mix between a German shorthaired pointer and a llewellin setter (also known as a dropper).  She was almost completely white, with a few liver colored spots on her.  When she was a puppy, her ears were each brown, but the stripe down her forehead looked like the colors had grown apart, as the shape on her two ears fit together almost like a puzzle piece.  A neighbor raised birddogs and she was a puppy in his last litter of puppies that he raised.  I still remember the day Mom & Dad came home and picked me up to take me to our neighbor's house and surprised me with getting a puppy!  I remember picking her out because she was the only one that was almost completely white and I thought she was so pretty.  She was just a few weeks old when I picked her out, and we had to wait a few weeks before she was big enough to bring her to our house. 

Although she was a birddog, by the time we got her, most of the quail had disappeared from this area, so we never really got to take her hunting and work her like a birddog should be worked, but that didn't stop her from pointing birds.  :)  One day, my dad was feeding hay and noticed she was standing on top of her dog house in point position looking towards the sky.  Dad looked around and noticed a bald eagle in a tree and Bee was pointing it!  Ha!  I'm not sure what she would have done if she'd managed to get that bird!! 

I know, trust me,I know, there are much worse things to cry about in life than dogs, but when I found out that Honey Bee died, I cried.  Part of me was relieved, as I'm pretty sure Bee had cancer, and for the last 6 months or so, had been losing a lot of weight.  So, I knew she was hurting and sick, but, as bad as it was, I just couldn't bring myself to put her down.  Mom told me that up until her last few days, she still followed Mom around as Mom would do things around the yard.  I just couldn't imagine having to put her down, especially when she still felt up to walking around with my Mom. 

When Mom told me that she found her in her house dead last Saturday morning, my sweet husband dropped everything he was doing, and drove to Missouri to help my mom bury her.  They buried her at the edge of the yard, and then Mom put daffodils on her grave.  They then sent me a picture of it and it looked so pretty and peaceful, as odd as that sounds. 

Honey Bee was such a sweet girl.  I never saw her growl or act unhappy about anything.  She will definitely be missed.  She's been my dog longer than I have known my husband, which feels like such a long time!  I'm so fortunate that she lived such a long time, and for all but the last few months, was so healthy during those nearly 14 years.  It's going to be sad the first time I go to Mom's house and look around her yard for my white dog laying around in the sun somwhere, and then realize she isn't there. 




Comments