Test, tests, and more tests...

To pick up where I left my 2nd post, I'll fill you in on more of my TTC story. 

Once I visited with my doctor in April, she wanted to do blood work to make sure I was ovulating.  I did that, and everything tested normal.  After that, Dr. P ordered an HSG test (hysterosalpingogram).  The purpose of this test was to examine my fallopian tubes and uterus to check to see if my tubes were blocked.  The test was ordered for a Friday afternoon and Dusty and I took off the afternoon of my test, as I was told it would take a couple of hours and I wasn't sure I would feel like going back to work after the test. 

Dusty and I arrived at the hospital and I went into the lab to have blood drawn for a pregnancy test.  After that, we went into the room to wait for the test to begin.  We had a wonderful nurse who showed us everything that would be used during the test and explained step-by-step how the test would go.  She then had me change while waiting for the results of the pregnancy test and waiting for the radiologist.  This nurse was wonderful!  I was so scared and nervous, not to mentioned a little freaked out because a radiologist would be the one doing the test, (which involved blowing up a "balloon" inside me, and then shooting dye into my uterus).  I guess I just thought it would be an OBGYN doing this test and the thought of a different kind of doctor doing anything there, well, that just wasn't what I had in mind.  However; after talking to the nurse, I was actually starting to calm down a little.  Well, Dusty and I waited and waited.  After nearly 2 hours, the doctor finally came in and gave us quite the surprise.  The doctor told us that my pregnancy test was positive, barely, but still, positive. 

As you can guess, we were quite surprised, but we both had this feeling that it wouldn't last and wasn't even real.  On a side note, because my insurance doesn't have infertility coverage, we had already paid for the test when we arrived, and as such, we had to go get a refund, since I didn't actually have the test.  As we were getting a refund, several of the clerks congratulated us, which really just made us feel awful because we both thought it wouldn't last.  And it didn't...

The next day, I took two at home pregnancy tests, and both said positive.  Still, we both had a feeling that it wasn't real.  I bled the entire day and the next morning, took another test, and it was negative.  {I can't help but think that those earlier tests will be the only positive pregnancy tests I will ever have}

On Monday, I went back to the doctor for another pregnancy test, which of course, was negative.  The nurse didn't really have an explanation for what happened.  She said it was possibly "just a chemical pregnancy."  Whatever it was, it still hurt. 

We then rescheduled my HSG test for a couple of weeks later, which turned into another two weeks of being nervous and getting anxious about it.  One funny thing did happen in between the scheduled dates of my test though.  On the weekend before my 2nd scheduled test, Dusty and I went to Little Rock to watch my niece and her dance team compete.  While sitting at the hotel bar between dances, my husband found himself sitting next to the doctor that had informed us our pregnancy test was positive.  I'm not sure if he recognized Dusty or not, but I was dreading having the test done in a few days and the doctor recognizing Dusty during the test!  There is just something uncomfortable about that!

As it turns out, I didn't have to worry about that.  When we went back for the test a couple of days later, we had a different nurse and a different doctor, and it was not good.  The nurse acted very nervous and explained things completely different than the first nurse had.  She was so nervous, she made me even more anxious.  Then, the doctor came and, and I'm sorry, but he looked like a total creeper.  I would have given anything in that moment for it to be the doctor that sat at the bar with my husband over this guy!  He came in and asked me what was going on.  Seriously?  There are only a couple of reasons a woman would have that test, does he really need to ask? 

We got started on the test and it was AWFUL.  The doctor was incredibly rough with me and I had never experienced such pain in my entire life!  I started crying the minute the test started and didn't stop until long after it was over.  It hurt so bad.  Thank goodness Dusty was standing there holding my hand the entire time or else I never would have made it through the test. 

Then, in addition to the pain, I could tell something with the test wasn't going well.  They had me roll to my side to try to see if dye would go through my left tube and it wouldn't.  We finished the test and I found out my left tube appears to be blocked.  Not only that, but then the doctor says to me that I have the smallest uterus he has ever seen.  I have no idea what this even means, but my first thought was there must be no way at all that I can have children. 

Thank goodness my doctor called me later that day and went over the test results.  She wasn't sure what the results of the test really meant either, and wanted more information.  Dr. P then ordered an MRI to get a better look at my uterus and to try to see if there was a problem.  I had the MRI about a week later, and the results came back normal, thankfully. 

So...next, more tests.  But, this post is long enough for now, so I'll wait to write more about that later.

Comments

  1. Oh Michelle I didn't realize you were having problems TTC. It sounds like the doctor who preformed that test was cruel. Some doctors are so insensitive sometimes. I'll be praying for you guys and I know that you guys will have kids soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. Yes, it was awful! Thank you for the prayers!! It has been tough.

      Delete

Post a Comment