What's My Story?

I find myself writing this blog as an outlet about the struggle DH and I have gone through to have children, along with various other things going on in our lives right now.  I'll be posting several blog posts that catch you up on what we have been through at this point.  I've always hesitated to start a blog that is primarily about trying to conceive (TTC), as I always thought to myself, as soon as I do, I'll get pregnant and then that will just be discouraging to any readers that are TTC.  Well, it's been nearly a year of trying, and we aren't pregnant yet, so I might as well start this blog.
 First off, I'll give you some more background.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I am 30, moving up quite steadily in my career, DH and I bought a house recently, and everything is moving along exactly as I always envisioned in most aspects of our lives.  So, we decided, we're ready, let's have our first baby.  I even thought about the timing and when we could get pregnant so I would be due outside of my peak busy season at work (January through April 15th).  I know that shouldn't matter, but to me, it does, or did, at that point a year ago.  You see, as a CPA, I am a slight control freak.  So, even though I always had this horrible fear that I would have problems getting pregnant, I thought that I could control the situation and make it work whenever I told my body it was time to have a baby.  Hahaha, funny plan.

After 8 months of trying with no luck, I decided to see my doctor.  In April, I went to visit my OBGYN, Dr. P.  I told her that DH and I had been trying to get pregnant since August with no luck (obviously).  She asked me all the relevant questions; when did I stop birth control (March 2012), were my periods regular (yes), was I tracking them (yes), had I checked my ovulation with one of those over the counter kits (yes, the first month, it said I ovulated), were we trying every other day around the 14th day of my cycle (yes).  I even told her I bought a fertility kit for myself and a sperm test kit for DH, both came back with good results (my doctor didn't even know the OTC sperm test kit existed!!).  Which brought me to April and sitting there on the table, telling my doctor all of these things.

Thank goodness my doctor is awesome.  I was afraid she would be like, ok, well, keep trying and if nothing happens by August, call me back.  Did she?  Nope!  Dr. P immediately started talking about the various tests that could be ran and what those tests would check for.  We hashed out a game plan, and started scheduling tests and calling insurance.  I'll blog more about the tests I went through in another post or two (look at me, planning ahead for another post and everything).  So, here we are, two and half months later, nearly $3,500 poorer, and still trying to get pregnant. 

Stay tuned for more of my story!

Comments