21 Eggs!!



On with step 5 - the actual egg retrieval.

On Thursday, May 29th, Dusty and I got up bright and early and headed to Little Rock for the retrieval.  We arrived about 30 minutes before our appointment (which was at 10:00), so we hung out in the car for 15 minutes or so before heading into the clinic.  Once we got into the clinic, we got called back to the prep room about 10:15.  The nurse, Patsy, asked me several questions and went over the post-ER procedures and meds with Dusty and me.  I got dressed in a hospital gown, surgical hat and socks.  She started my IV and gave me medicine for nausea.  Then, the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the first dose of sleepy meds and I was quickly wheeled back to the operating room, but not before a good luck kiss from Dusty. 

Once I was in the operating room, I don't really remember a lot.  The light was weird and bright.  I remember them putting my legs in stirrups and wrapping them with towels (although I didn't know what they were wrapped with until the transfer), and then draping me.  I do remember the anesthesiologist saying he would give me the propofol when the doctor got in the room, and then as he was saying that, the doctor came in.  The anesthesiologist also asked me about what my favorite beach was, or something, I honestly don't remember, but I remember talking about Aruba.  While waiting on the transfer, I asked Sarah if that actually happened or if I made it up, and I was glad to know that did happen!  Also, during my retrieval, they took Dusty into a room to do his business to give his sample so it'd be ready for when they retrieved my eggs.

Before I knew it, the retrieval was over and I was back in the prep room.  I remember waking up to Dusty holding my hand, which was the most amazing feeling in the world.  I think I asked if it was over and the nurse said it was and I was glad.  I asked if I could go to the bathroom & Patsy, of course, said I couldn't get up yet (I had, after all, just woken up from anesthesia) but if I really needed to, she could put a catheter in, which I immediately declined!  I then started crying at some point and she grabbed a tissue and started wiping my tears for me.  She said that it was from the first sleepy meds they gave me (I can't remember the name) and I think said it makes her cry too.  She really was so sweet.  She asked me if I was feeling ok or if I was cramping & needed some pain meds.  I wasn't cramping then, and thought the pressure I was feeling was just from having to go to the bathroom.  Well, I quickly decided I probably would go ahead and take her up on the pain meds before the pain kicked in. 

Then, a few minutes later, Sarah and the doctor came in to go over the report from the retrieval.  They were able to get 21 eggs!!!  I was so happy.  They told me then that they expected about half of those to be fertilized.  Sarah told me I was an overachiever and warned me that my ovaries would hurt for several more days (boy was she right).  After resting a little later, Dusty and I were free to go and Patsy wheeled me out while Dusty got the car. 

Honestly, the egg retrieval process is so much scarier before hand than it really is, after looking back.  Thank goodness we're asleep for the procedure, considering a needle is poked through the vagina to go to the ovary and grabbed the eggs.  I mean, ouch!!  I really didn't feel much cramping or pain afterwards, other than the pain from my ovaries. 

Here's a pic of us before the transfer.  Love my supportive husband.

Comments