Holy Crinone Induced Acne!!!

To aide in a healthy pregnancy after IVF, because your body didn't truly "get" pregnant on it's own, and instead, a growing embryo was put back in your uterus, the body doesn't really have the hormones it needs at the beginning of pregnancy ready when they should be.  So, to make up for that, women typically take hormone supplements for progesterone and estrogen. 

I've found that one side effect of the Crinone, or progesterone, is acne.  I'm talking, teenage boy, gross looking, is that a rash???, acne.  It's terrible!!!  Having had severe acne in my life, it's an all too familiar feeling and, unfortunately, look on my face.  However; I knew exactly why it was happening, and was just going to "deal" with it with extra makeup & maybe change out my facewash to try to help it until the (hopefully) pregnancy is further along and I'm no longer on these hormone supplements.

Well...that was, until I found out today that I would be filming a short video that would be shown at trainings for my firm!  And, I'd be filming this video in just shy of two weeks.  I can't have a red, bumpy, gross face for this video!  It's going to be used for who knows how long, and be seen by who knows how many people.  I would be horrified.  It's already terrible that I've put on the dreaded "IVF" weight, but that can't be helped at this point. 

So, what do I do?  I call my dermatologist office that I haven't seen for 2 years and cross my fingers that they can get me in and there is something they can give me that might just help.  So, around 9:00 this morning, I called and asked how soon they could get me in and the answer was, how about 12:45.  YES!!!  Sign me up, I'll be there! 

I get there and explain to the nurse what medications I'm currently taking and how I know they are the reason for the acne, but due to this work thing, I really would like to see if there is anything I can do.  She leaves and shortly after, the doctor comes in and says something like, so, you're taking Crinone and Minivelle (the estrogen supplement)?  I nod.  He then said, are you having fertility treatments?  (Yes) Then, he asked if I was pregnant, I said, I don't know.  The doctor nodded and said, I understand.  He then said that he and his wife did IVF 2 times.  I was just in awe!  I mean, here I was, seeing a new doctor for the first time, and I find out he and his wife are part of the 5% or so of couples that seek IVF treatment for infertility!  I asked if it was successful and he said yes, both times and then they naturally had a child after that!  The doctor said it was unexplained infertility (to which I said ours is too) and he said basically, well then it should work!  The doctor then told me that he and his wife had 3 friends who also went through IVF and all 3 were successful.

I instantly got goosebumps!!  I mean, wow!  What are the chances of that?  I felt like that was definitely a "God-thing" and was to be encouragement for me.  I just couldn't believe it.  I can't even tell you how encouraged I was when I was sitting in that office. 

So - back to the acne, there are hardly any treatments that are safe during pregnancy.  However; the doctor had samples of a topical cream that is safe for me to take, and gave me an entire package of samples!!  He told me it may or may not work, but the best thing is, it was samples and free!  Thank goodness! 

Good things are happening!  Good things are going to happen! 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I know this post is several years old...but I am wondering how the samples worked for your acne? If they were helpful, what was it so I can ask my dermatologist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment