The Good, the Bad & the TMI - Things I didn't know about IVF before that I know now!

I've never really admitted this before, but, going into IVF, I felt reasonably educated about the process.  For whatever reason, starting about 3 years ago, I started reading several blogs of women going through IVF.  I didn't think then I would ever have to go through this to try to have a child, but, I guess that was God's way of helping prepare me for this process.

So, when we first met with Sarah, it was no surprise to me that it would be super expensive, we'd have to order lots of meds, I'd be giving myself (or Dusty would be giving) daily injections, I'd go back for the egg retrieval, and then, lastly, would go back for the transfer.  When Sarah was going over those things, I felt like I had at least the basic knowledge of the process. 

However; there were definitely things I've learned after the process that I wish I had known going into it.  So, that's what this post is about.  Of course, all of these are my own opinion and based on my experience, which I know varies greatly by person.

The Good:

I may be pregnant - This is by far the best part!!  As I sit here and type this, I am PUPO (pregnant until proven otherwise) & know I have 2 embryos inside me!  I pray those embryos stick and turn into babies for us!

The shots - they weren't that bad!  I honestly had so much apprehension about this going into the process, and it was probably the easiest part! 

The ultrasounds - it really is amazing seeing what your body is capable of doing.  Each scan, when I'd look at the screen and see lots of follicles, I was just amazed. 


The Bad:

Ovaries hurt like crazy - toward the end of the process, and even after the 3 day transfer, my ovaries hurt so bad!  I can hardly stand up straight.  Sleeping at night is awful because there is no comfortable position.  You might think there is some relief after the egg retrieval (ER), but honestly, there wasn't any, and it maybe even got worse.  After my ER, Sarah told me that where the follicles were would now be filled with blood and basically be big bruises.  OUCH! 

Propofol - As I was laying on the table waiting for the ER, the anesthesiologist told me that when he injected the propofol, it would burn at my IV site.  Oh my gosh!  If by burn, he meant it would feel like a 500 lb boulder was smashing my arm, then yes, it burned.  I looked up at him and was like, this hurts.  He was like, that's the burning I was telling you about, I then responded, this doesn't burn, it HURTS!  LOL!  I should note that I had also been given something before going back to the operating room that made me start to get sleepy, and that, along with my nervousness, may have impacted my reaction. 

ER Room - There are a lot of people in there!  For me, I had my nurse, the anesthesiologist, Sarah, the doctor, and this other guy that I had no idea who he was.  Turns out, he was the embryologist.

The Transfer - Honestly, this hurt.  It hurt more than the trial transfer.  I guess when I got in there, my cervix was tilted slightly different than it was during the trial transfer, so they had to try a couple of different catheters, and that probably was part of the reason why it hurt.  But also, having a full bladder for this, when they press down with the ultrasound, that is so uncomfortable as well!

The TMI:

Enormous Ovaries #2 - Along with the hurting that's a result of the enlarged ovaries, I had to urinate ALL the time!  The ovaries press on your bladder and make you have to go to the bathroom constantly!  When I went in for the ER, Sarah mentioned that and said something like, You've probably been wondering if you have an UTI.  She's exactly right, I had been!

Constipation - So...what I never knew was, all that medicine that is being injected into your system causes constipation, which, when your ovaries are the size of oranges, is especially uncomfortable!  After my ER, my nurse, who was absolutely awesome, warned me to try to not use the hydrocodone unless absolutely necessary, because that also leads to constipation.  Sheesh!  I didn't realize I'd have to worry about that!

Bleeding - After I was able to get up after my ER, when I got up off the bed, I saw a lot of blood on the bed pad.  I was absolutely shocked at the amount of blood.  The nurse had warned me I may have some bleeding after the procedure, but I guess I didn't expect to see that when I stood up.  It really was a lot of blood.  Even Dusty was pretty shocked.  Thankfully the nurse was standing there to help me get up and when I saw it, I asked her if that much was normal and she reassured me that it was. 

ER Room #2 - As I mentioned above, there are a lot of people in that room.  Well, what I didn't mention above because it is definitely in the TMI category is, your legs are up in these stirrup type devices that actually support your calves, but then, you're pretty much on display for everyone to see!  They did drape me, but not until after they cleaned off my cervix first.  And then, after I was draped...there was a big hole down there for the procedure.  Honestly, this was much worse for the transfer because I wasn't drugged!  I realize that when I have a baby, it'll be like this, and I should be used to it from all the ultrasounds I have had, but it still bothered me.  I just wasn't prepared for that. 

Although reading back over this post, it seems the bad and the TMI are more than the good; know I would do this all over again if necessary to have a baby.  I just felt like the bad and the TMI needed longer explanations!  Also, I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining, I just felt the need to do a post like this for any others that may go through this!


Comments

  1. Hey there, just stumbled upon your blog via instagram!! Just started my first ivf cycle after 2 failed iuis... You're so right about the propolfol, so painful. Getting the IV is the worst part. I've had a laparoscopy and major knee surgery and was given one in an ambulance after an accident. I wish you the best of luck!! Feel free to check out my blog sometime!

    www.babyridleybump.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elena! Glad I'm not the only one that thought that about the propofol! I look forward to reading your blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment